Tuesday, February 7, 2012

An Introduction

I've been thinking a lot lately. I've been told this is dangerous, but hard to stop, so I needed to find a solution for the torrents of ideas in my head. I've never kept a journal, and some of these things just don't make for an easy transition into poetry to get them out of my head. I could always assault my friends, family, and acquaintances with my thoughts, but in my experience I'm less likely to get a good response when I try that approach.

So I'm compromising. Whenever I have a burning thought that I just need to get out of my system, I'll come write it here. Ideally it will go like this: I write my thoughts down and like-minded people read it and comment, tweaking my ideas with their own point of view and insights. Better yet, people who blatantly disagree with me will find this place and get a real discussion going.

Worst case scenario: I end up writing an open journal that nobody reads but I still get the satisfaction of writing my thoughts down. As long as it doesn't devolve into some emo LiveJournal I'll be happy; I'd really rather not have to grow my bangs back out and start alluding to suicidal thoughts and eating disorders that I probably don't honestly have.

Now, about the title: "Thoughts You Probably Don't Care About." This is pretty simple. I know it sounds self deprecating and like I'm starting on the aforementioned emo path, I titled it that because I actually hope nothing I post here is of particular note. God-willing, I'll be nowhere near the first to think these things; because if I'm the only one and end up as some kind of prophetic voice for my generation, then my generation is screwed. Rather, I want to post thoughts that I haven't seen discussed much, or satisfactorily, that I see as important and get people talking about them and finding them important too.

In short, if everything goes according to my diabolical plan, I'll get some people thinking about things. Religion, art, whatever tickles my fancy really. If not, then I just get to indulge my writing addiction, which works just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment