Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Bad Guys


            I love books. Specifically, I tend to love fantasy novels (in all their 600+ page glory), but I’ve noticed a somewhat annoying theme in them. The “bad guys.” If that phrase on its own doesn’t make you wince like it does me, then allow me to explain. In a story there is the protagonist and the antagonist, and I have come to appreciate those terms as an alternative to “the good guys and the bad guys.” However, in all too many stories the antagonist is a cop-out: a purely evil character who does bad things because… well because evil.
            You see the problem with this idea; it’s not realistic. If art imitates life, and a good story has life-like characters, are you really going to find an evil character that actually thinks he is evil?
            This type of antagonist has his place, particularly in more lighthearted stories such as comedies (particularly satire) and children’s stories, but he often steps outside his proper domain and into more complex writing. Some of my favorite authors are guilty of this, but I suppose a popular example would be best: Voldemort.
            In Harry Potter, Voldemort is just straight up evil. It’s been about a year since I last read some of the books, but I can’t recall any motive given for Voldemort’s actions other than he came to the conclusion that wizards were better than muggles. There was no series of reasoning in which he explained why he truly believed this to be for the greater good, it was always pretty clear that he was just in it for ruling the world.
            But very few real bad guys actually do that, and very few interesting ones do. How much better could those seven books have been if we the readers had been forced to explore the Dark Lord’s thoughts a little bit? If we had been forced to see his side of things and understand that he really did think that he was doing good and that Harry was standing in the way of the righteous path?
            My favorite example of an author who does this, and who has rapidly become one of my favorite authors, is Brandon Sanderson. In each of his stories so far he really plays around with the idea of the bad guy. This ranges from starting a book with one character as an antagonist and having their entire worldview shift to keeping a character ambiguous but possibly evil and not revealing their true motives until the end to spending an entire book painting a character as pure evil and then forcing another point of view on you to show that they were actually helping the whole time.
This is how I think antagonists should be done. Nobody is evil in his or her own eyes, every bad guy has a reason for what they do that they probably completely believe. This can be as simple as greed and a “looking out for number one” attitude or as complex and involved as a worldview that says murder, oppression, and war is the only way to bring about piece. The point is that they believe in their cause as much as the noble heroes believe in theirs.
This has brought me to the conclusion that I can count my writing as successful if I can just for one moment get a reader so invested in an antagonist’s story that they find themselves rooting for the “bad guy” before they can stop themselves. Who knows what other false assumptions about people they might start questioning then.

7 comments:

  1. ^ thoughts Jordy cares very much about :)

    I'm struggling with this right now too. Power just isn't enough of an end to drive anyone. Yeah, someone wants to rip the kingdom out from "the good guy's" feet, but what'll she do with it once she has it? Serve tea?

    I anticipate several more of your insights, rabbi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, that's why I like playing with multiple antagonists, it gives me more room to explore different motives. Granted my ultimate antagonist is a god of chaos so he's kind of just in it for the destruction and upsetting balance, but I'm working on giving that some more depth as well.

      Delete
  2. I read the first two paragraphs and realized you have way more interesting things to say than me. Stuff I ain't never thought about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blair, though I think roughly the same thing when you talk about music.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post bro! This "entering their worldview" is what I believe to be the most essential, yet drastically under used Apologeticics tool. It is called 'presuppositional apologetics' and it is built around us proving to the folks that we talk to that we truly understand they are not just a bunch of cracked out wack-jobs trying to destroy the world. ;-) We recognize they too have a true desire to change things.

    Our job as apologists is to then find the parts of their worldview that we can agree with, a common ground, and then prove to them we truly understand where they are coming from. Then (and only then in my opinion) we are able to share with them that we believe the ultimate antagonist (sin) to be far greater and more encompassing than they understand their worldview's antagonist to be. And of course if we are correct about the antagonist being far greater than they think, then the protagonist too must be infinitely more powerful than they had envisioned. I LOVE APOLOGETICS!!

    I hope to do a post about this sometime soon, but in the mean time if you find yourself as intrigued as I am on this subject, I would highly recommend reading "The Reason For God" by Timothy Keller.

    Later, John Frame and Greg Bahnsen are the guys who really go deep into this stuff. Thomas turned me on to the 'presup apologetics'and it is incredible. Blessings bro.

    Trev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! This is one of my favorite things about God and my other interests; there isn't really any separation. If I look for it, I can find an interaction with God in every part of my life, and I just love it when I get to learn through literature and writing.

      Thanks for the book suggestion, I'll have to add it to my reading list. I too love good apologetics. :)

      Delete